BLUNT, Arthur Cadogan

Arthur Cadogan Blunt    British 1861-1934

Arthur Cadogan Blunt was a designer, illustrator, watercolourist  & etcher. He was the fourth and youngest son of Gerald Blunt, the rector of Old Church, Chelsea and brother of the Chelsea historian Reginald Blunt. Although he studied architecture, he later attended the Slade School of art becoming ‘a designer and black-and-white artist’. He exhibited at the leading London galleries from 1890, including the Royal Institute. He also designed a poster for London Transport.  He lived in Chelsea for most of his life and was a close friend of Australian artist Charles Conder. Conder had returned to Europe and studied art at the Académie Julian and Louvre in Paris. Conder, at this time, was travelling back and forth between London and France and had joined the New English Art club. Blunt often went to France with Conder. Conder died in 1909. During the First World War he was involved in laying out military cemeteries in France. He designed the lectern, coronas and altar for St Luke’s Church, Chelsea, and carried out interior decorative work for Edwin Lutyens in London and India. He also designed church windows. He was a member of the Chelsea Arts Club.  After the First World War, Blunt with Harold Squire and Francis Derwent Wood, members of The Arts League of Service commissioned Mackintosh to design a block of studios and flats for the south side of Glebe Place, facing Upper Cheyne Row, near Mackintosh’s own studio. Founded in a spirit of idealism after the First W World War, in 1919, the Arts League of Service set itself the singular aim of bringing art and the ‘higher forms of entertainment’ to the masses, including art and theatre. However the high cost of the work involved prevented the realization of all but a modified version of the scheme.

x Close

Read more...

All Art