Rowland Suddaby was a painter, born in Kimberworth, Yorkshire. He studied at Sheffield College of Art from 1926, winning a scholarship there. In 1931 he moved to London and worked ornamenting the titles of black and white films for a firm in Wardour street. In 1935 he has his first solo show at the Wertheim Gallery. These were followed by more solo shows at the Redfern Gallery in the 1940’s & 50’s. In 1940 he worked for the Pilgrim Trust on the Recording Britain project. After the war he began to exhibit at the Royal Academy, London and at the Leger Galleries, Paris .
He had moved to Suffolk in 1939, settling in Great Cornard, Sudbury and became associated with scenes of East Anglia. He had become a founder member of The Colchester Arts Society in 1946 with Edward Bawden, John Nash and Cedric Morris among the exhibitors. He remained in Suffolk and was an active landscape artist until his death, whilst holding a post as a curator of Gainsborough’s Sudbury home. His work is held in many private and public collections including the Victoria and Albert Museum.